DIY Basil & Lavender Herbal Toning Shampoo

Hi Friends!
I recently saw a Facebook video claiming that boiling green basil leaves makes a purple concoction that can take the brassiness out of blonde hair. I use a chamomile + hydrogen peroxide spray to keep my highlights blonde, but the downside is brassiness. So I was intrigued by this "hack" and had to try it for myself. Spoiler alert: green basil leaves do not in fact make a purple hue! (Purple basil might.) However I did some further research and discovered some cool uses for this basil shampoo idea. The video didn't include any measurements, so I experimented with proportions. Below is the research about why I chose these herbal ingredients I did and the final recipe so you can try it as well...

Lavender blooming
+ Basil (Ocimum basilicum) is anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, hair stimulating, and anti-dandruff. Besides being a delicious culinary herb, basil also soothes skin and promotes hair growth. 
+Apple Cider Vinegar (vinegar made from fermented apples) is antimicrobial  and has anti-fungal properties.
+Lavender (Lavandula officinalis) is anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiseptic properties. Scientific studies also show lavender oil as having a significant ability to boost hair growth! It's perfect for resetting and balancing the scalp. It is even effective in solving lice problems.

Basil & Lavender Herbal Toning Shampoo Recipe

___________________________
Basil leaves

Ingredients:

3 cups filtered water
½ cup basil leaves, trimmed & washed
2 Tb apple cider vinegar
½ cup shampoo
5-10 drops lavender essential oil
6 fluid oz. bottle, sterilized
funnel
cheesecloth

Directions:

Bring water to a gentle boil, then stir in basil leaves and continue to boil for 5-10 mins. Remove from heat and strain through cheesecloth into a glass measuring cup. Let cool to room temperature. Add shampoo, apple cider vinegar, and lavender essential oil. Gently stir until combined. Funnel into bottle. Shake to further combine. To use shampoo, wet hair and work shampoo into your scalp through to the ends. Let activate for 2 minutes, then rinse and follow with conditioner.
__________________________________________________________

I only had fresh green basil leaves on hand to test this recipe out, but next time I'll try purple basil and see if it actually reduces hair "brassiness" or even makes a purple shampoo. As for now, I washed my hair with this shampoo and it smells and feels GREAT! I didn't change my hair tones, but I feel awesome knowing the powerful herbs are toning my scalp & helping my hair grow.
Try this recipe out and let me know what you think!
Herbal Blessings,
Credit: Thank you to First Media Blossom for the initial idea that sparked my recipe!

Comments

Popular Posts